Being outdoors can be fun, calming, exhilarating, challenging, and so many other things. One thing is for certain though, we have remembered that above all else, it is important.
People, young and old, are rediscovering their love of the outdoors, whether to breathe in some fresh air and get their bodies moving or to challenge themselves through new and exciting outdoor sports.
If you’re thinking of setting up a business selling outdoor products, there has never been a better time to do it. After multiple lockdowns, health and the freedom to roam are at the forefront of everyone’s mind in a way that it has never been before. So , let’s get started and break down the 8 best outdoor products to stock in 2023.
Table of Contents
What are outdoor products?
Outdoor products come in a huge range of categories, from those needed for adventure sports in order to family-friendly activities.
Outdoor products also vary in quality and price, as well as based on the time of year they are used. This means changes in components, structure, fabric, color, and shape — not to mention general usage. Outdoor products for winter might include skiing equipment and thick sleeping bags designed for freezing temperatures, while outdoor items for summer might consist of masks and wetsuits, canoes, and stand-up paddle boards.
Despite this variety, there are also many outdoor products that can be used all year round. These should make up the core offering associated with any outdoor products store — whether B2B or B2C, and whether at home or internationally .
Is selling outdoor products online a profitable business?
Outdoor products have shot up in value since the lockdown, with individuals rediscovering the importance of the great outdoors. Worldwide revenue in the sports plus outdoor segment is expected to reach $75. 24 billion in 2022, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10. 24% from 2022 to 2025, resulting in a market volume of nearly $101 billion by 2025 1 .
Additionally , consumers are beginning to value their time above all else, meaning less time going into town to go shopping, and more time with family and friends. This has meant huge increases in e-commerce, along with global online shopping expected to grow at a CAGR of 11. 35% from 2022 to 2025 2 .
Selling outdoor products online has never been more profitable than today.
Outdoor industry trends 2023
Outdoor products in 2023 are usually set for great sales, but some will sell better than others. Before we jump into which outdoor products are the best to sell in your shop, let’s look at the general styles.
- Color trends for outdoor items 3 show a preference with regard to softer colors, including pastels in lilac, olive green, pale yellow, and cool blue.
- Fabric trends 4 report a preference for UV-protective fabrics that are breathable, lightweight, have good endurance and are made with eco-conscious materials.
Best outdoor products to sell for 2023
Here is a list of the best old and new products for people looking for adventures and outside fun in 2023:
1 . Tents
A good tent is the first thing that comes to mind when many think of outdoor adventures — and this will not change this year or next. When stocking tents for your store consider the season and activity.
Buy winter tents that use double lining to retain heat and have fortified poles to keep tents up in high winds. For summer tents, ensure breathable materials are used for good liveability and that they pack up small to ensure portability. For festivals and summer campsite trips, luxury, compostable bell tents will also be a big seller in 2023 5 . For the more adventurous, fold-out tents installed on the top of cars are already huge sellers.
2 . Sleeping bags
A partner to the tent is the sleeping bag. In 2023, there will be a rise in sleeping bags made to shape — such as female-focused sleeping bags 6 , which are cut widest in the hip area, instead of within the shoulder area.
Remember too, that resting bags differ for different seasons. Stock down sleeping bags for lower temperatures plus thinner, rectangular sleeping hand bags for summer months. Never forget portability when choosing your sleeping bag offering.
3. Camping stoves
Whether winter or summer, camping stoves are a core outdoor product. For hikers, long-range cyclists, and other outdoor sports enthusiasts, portability will remain of primary importance within 2023 — after all, who wants to carry a heavy gas bottle or camping stove upward a mountain?
Small camping stoves that can be dismantled and use light gas bottles and cans will be the top choice for these consumers. For those looking to buy a camping stove for more sedentary camping trips or festivals, stock camping stoves with more capacity — such as bigger camping stoves for BBQs. Don’t forget to stock camping pots, pans, and utensils too!
4. Outdoor solar showers
A portable luxurious that will be seeing higher sales in 2023 is the outside solar shower. These are great for many outdoor activities, through campervan trips to celebrations, and serve as a practical additional water carrier too — thereby hitting multi-purpose trends 7 .
Outdoor portable solar shower products usually store 10 to 20 liters of water and come as easily foldable black bags with a water spout, or as free-standing pump showers for additional pressure. A solar shower’s black color attracts the sun’s heat, meaning warm showers when left outside regarding 1 to 3 hours.
5. Backpacks and duffel bags
Backpacks have long been an essential item for outdoor activities and will remain so in
2023. One of the trends to look out for in this category is backpacks which are durable and multi-usage 8 — a backpack that easily translates from life in order to hiking to traveling.
Waterproof duffel luggage and hiking backpacks with supportive straps will be big this year thanks to their convenience for many types of activities — from adventures in the mountains and camping trips, to days running errands inside bad weather or simply hitting the gym.
6. Portable solar chargers
With the rise of remote work, many people are combining their outdoor activities along with work projects. This means the need for constant electricity in a lightweight form.
Portable solar chargers intended for mobile, cameras, and laptops are increasingly popular and will be a great high-value asset to offer in your outdoor store. Stock easy-to-fold ones that can be placed on top of backpacks when walking or laid out on the ground.
7. Torches plus head torches
It goes without saying that outdoor items cover both day and night activities. This means that a good torch or even head torch is essential. Inside 2023, consumers are looking for durability and multi-purpose usage, therefore be sure to stock torches with a high number of lumens and a long battery life.
Traditional hand-held flashlights will still be good sellers in 2023, as these usually have better power and battery life than smaller options 9 . However , be sure to stock handy head torches for backpackers as well as torches designed for bicycles and other sporting equipment.
8. Trampolines and outdoor games
Last, but not least, is that being outdoors is about enjoyable. For that reason, outdoor games will be great items to stock within your outdoor store for 2023.
Trampolines is going to be sought after by many families as easy-to-put-up, guaranteed fun and exercise in any environment — from the back garden to a campsite. More portable and economical outside games, such as throwing disks, ball games, bean handbag toss challenges, and tennis-style games 10 , will also be sought after by your customers. Additionally , new and fascinating outdoor games, such as slacklines, will see a rise in product sales in 2023 eleven .
Tips for selling outdoor products online:
When selling outdoor products online it is important to consider a few factors:
Know your customer:
- Where do they spend their time online? Social media will remain the best place in order to catch your audience in 2023. Be sure to run aesthetically pleasing social media profiles that market your products well. Think about photographs and providing worth through tips and information. You could advertise your hiking boots while referencing plus posting some of the best hiking spots in the world.
- Who does your customer trust? Consumers trust industry-leading brands, but if you don’t offer that, then reach them through people they trust. Ask social media influencers specializing in the great outdoors to market your products in exchange for free merchandise, products, or financial reward. You can also publish ads on outdoor magazines and websites that your customer visits.
- Have your own website: To maximize sales, make sure you have a legitimate website with your own domain name and logo. Build trust by adding customer reviews and industry-specific blog posts. Having a clearly displayed returns policy is another way to help finalize sales to those hesitant buyers.
- Licenses and credentials: Consumers will be more inclined to buy from you if you are a registered and legitimate company. Show your qualifications on your website.
Watch your overheads:
- Buying and selling at a profit: Making a profit is more than just buying low and selling high. Remember to calculate your overheads, including the storage plus postage of your products, the packaging, paying someone to pack and send them (this might be yourself), taxes, and more.
- E-commerce platforms: Consider using an e-commerce platform that holds your goods for you. This way you can source products directly from suppliers, and they will send them to your customer for you personally — you never have to shop or pack the goods yourself. E-commerce websites also allow greater reach with suppliers, meaning more choices in quality and price. Additionally , you can improve your product visibility by choosing to showcase your items at the top of the particular e-commerce website page.
Sell outside products on Alibaba. com
Alibaba. com is one of the largest B2B marketplaces in the world, with millions of suppliers, buyers, and products available at great pricing. Additionally , the platform provides users with business tools and advice to maximize profitability. Open an Alibaba seller account today and see what you can achieve.
1 . https://www.statista.com/outlook/dmo/ecommerce/toys-hobby-diy/sports-outdoor/worldwide”>
2 . https://www.statista.com/outlook/dmo/ecommerce/toys-hobby-diy/sports-outdoor/worldwide
a few. https://www.statista.com/forecasts/220177/b2c-e-commerce-sales-cagr-forecast-for-selected-countries
9. ttps: //nymag. com/strategist/article/best-outdoor-games. html